Friday, September 19, 2008

I'm hacked.

I was going to blog about this last night but I decided I'd better let myself cool down a bit before I started in. lol So yesterday morning I heard from our babysitter that a third grade student had brought a gun to school on Wednesday. No way, she must be mistaken, right? When I dropped Camryn off at preschool, one of the teachers who also happens to be the mom of twin girls in Corbin's first grade class, asked me if I'd heard about the gun being brought to school on Wednesday. Ummmm, NO! Apparently there were a bunch of parents at the school Thursday morning because they'd heard through the grapevine what had happened. Oh, and better yet, it was on the NEWS already!

Anyway, Corbin came home from school yesterday with a note from the principal. It basically read like this: We had a weapons violation at the school on Wednesday. An unloaded BB gun was found in the backpack of a third grader. We have met with the third and fourth grade classes and the parents of the involved students. The gun was turned over to the proper authorities, SRS was called and the matter is being handled in the manner lined out in the student handbook.

That's it. The End.

WTF??? I'm sorry, but as a parent, this just isn't good enough for me. Why were the parents not informed of this the DAY it happened instead of having to hear it on the NEWS and through the grapevine around town? No freaking wonder there were parents at the school on Thursday morning! This is a small town and the principal could have saved himself a lot of headache if he'd have gotten on the ball and sent that letter home on Wednesday. At this point, I'm really just pissed because I heard it on the street. Now I know no one was hurt and no one was any wiser that it happened and it was an unloaded bb gun and not a rifle and the kid wasn't making malicious threats or anything, but it makes me wonder if we'd have ever found out about it had the rumor mill not been working. This is scary stuff people and IMO anything of this nature should be taken seriously.

I've calmed down a bit about it today, can you tell? lol Imagine what this would have looked like yesterday if I'd have typed it after reading the letter. lol

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would also have freaked. That is something that needs addressing immediately, even if it wasn't a loaded rifle. What on earth would possess a kid to bring a gun to school in third grade? My boy is in third grade, and he would have never thought of it. Perhaps the parents didn't know, what if it had been a real gun? *shivers*

Chels said...

I would be scared. I think there should be more actions taken than just a letter... Scary.

Anonymous said...

oh my gosh...that is so scary. i would have flipped out.

Samantha said...

Scary stuff Heather. I feel for you. I would have been so angry too! I love your blog! Great job!

Nikki said...

I would have FREAKED out Heather so I can completely understand your feelings. That is so scary!